Pages

Monday, August 8, 2016

WELCOME TO 6th GRADE!

August 8, 2016

Teacher introduction:
Hi! I am Ms. Susan and I will be working with your child in English/Language Arts and Social Studies. This is my second year working with the wonderful Mr. Trent and I have to say, I am one lucky teacher! I have been at Ellis since 2001, with one year off living in Canada (my husband is from Montreal). Although I am the ELA/SS teacher, I have 21 years of teaching experience in Savannah teaching math - it was time for a change and I could not be happier. Also, on our team, is the awesome Ms. Diane - she is incredibly dedicated to each and every child. It was a pleasure to meet many of you at Open House and, if you were unable to make it, I hope you'll take some time to visit us soon 😀

The year is off to an amazing beginning! The first three days, we learned how our classrooms function, class procedures, and expectations of quality work. In sixth grade, we also work hard to help your child develop a strong work ethic as well as taking pride in their academic achievements.

This Week:
In English/Language Arts, we are working on narrative writing. Our focus is on strategies students will use to develop their writing: dialogue, pacing, description and details, sensory language, transitions, and point of view.

In Social Studies, we are practicing map skills and learning the Five Themes of Geography: movement, region, human-environment interaction, location, and place. 

We've been working on taking notes and practicing class procedures. There will be no homework this week, with the exception of class work that is not completed in class. 

Please be sure to get in touch via email (Susan.torrance@sccpss.com) if you have any questions or concerns or just want to share information about your child.

Thank you for a great beginning to the school year!
Ms. Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment